20 September 2006

Sweater and apple season


It's that time of the year again -- apple season! We took Owen on his first apple picking excursion. This morning I made a big batch of applesauce from those some of apples.














I think he liked it!



















But back to knitting...
Even though I have 4 projects on the sticks I am, as always, thinking ahead to the next project to start. Last year I made a vest for my husband. It was my first foray into sweater making, but I chickened out about doing sleeves on my first attempt.

I think it came out well. Dave actually wears it. I used Cascade 220 in a lovely green color. I had 4 skeins left from the vest, and then I bought 2 more at a Webs sale so I have plenty for a sweater for me.


But what sweater should I make?? I haven't come across the perfect pattern yet so I am open to suggestions. I am really enjoying the top down picovoli. I do have a pattern for a neck down pullover for women from Knitting Pure and Simple, but I'm not crazy about the neck on that (a rolled edge turtle neck). I know I can modify that pattern if need be. I might be more interested in some sort of challenge involving cables or lace. Any suggestions for a pattern that would work well with this yarn?

5 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger Dearest Cupcake said...

What about the hoodie you've been thinking about? I used cascade 220 for mine...

 
At 6:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, Dave looks like he's a high schooler in that photo! :D And I love Owen's smile.

Why don't you grab a copy of BW's Knitting from the Top? You can make any style of sweater - fitted sleeve, drop sleeve, shaped waist, etc. I recommend her stitch dictionaries, too, if you're looking for ideas.

I'd avoid lace in worsted weight because the holes will be ginormous.

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That vest looks great on him, it fits him so well!

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Jes said...

Owen is getting so big! I can't believe it. Wow.

The vest looks really good. It fits well. I don't think you have anything to worry about with making sleeves =)

Cascade is a great yarn for sweaters, you could pretty much pick any worsted weight pattern and be good. Maybe go to the library and get one of those sweater formula books. That way you can build the sweater that you like, instead of trying to peice meal a pattern.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Amy. How about the hoodie or the Hourglass Sweater? And, mmm, homemade applesauce. Lucku Owen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home