29 June 2006

Stripes?! Hmph

Taking a break from the baby sweater knitting, I cast on for one of the sleeves of the hooded pullover that I got Lang Tosca yarn for at the Webs Tent Sale. I have 20 skeins of this yarn. And look what it does:

Now, I noticed a color change in the swatch I made, but it didn't seem so abrupt. This is definitely a striping yarn. I'm annoyed that there was no indication of this on the packaging. Stripes aren't necessarily a bad thing and I could learn to live with it, but not a sweater with thick stripes on the sleeves and thin stripes on the body and who knows what on the hood.
Now, I do have 20 skeins, which is more than enough for this sweater. Do I make the body and then cut and paste the rest of the yarn to make the sleeves match? Is this a very bad idea or could it actually work? Has anyone done something like this before? Or do you have any suggestions for a pattern that would work with this yarn that isn't a very very long scarf?

4 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrr...that's annoying! Sell the yarn on ebay + get something else?

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered modular knits? Google for Vivian Hoxbro's domino knitting or Horst Schulz's patchwork knitting.

Or... overdye?

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Dearest Cupcake said...

Legwarmers for the whole family? A lap blanket? Matching family hats and mittens? How cute would you all be in November?!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Hmmm... I definitely wouldn't cut the yarn until the whole sweater is knit. If you decide to do the body as written and the sleeves by piecing together the yarn, just leave big loops on the inside, and cut them out later. If something doesn't work out, you don't want to be left with a bunch of scaps to rip out and start over with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home