05 December 2005

Secret Santa strikes again

Gah! Just when I was feeling great that I had finished all of my Christmas shopping before the baby comes, I get an email from my uncle letting me know that the family secret santa is happening this year despite the fact that I am giving birth imminently and my immediate family all plan to be up here with me and the baby and not in NJ where the rest of the family lives. Anyway, I am the secret santa for my cousin K, and Dave is for my cousin G. K and G are both female in their mid-twenties. I do not know them very well, but I do know that they both have heads. So what did this call for, but a quick trip to Webs to buy some reasonably priced, bulky yarn for making hats. Valley Yarn Berkshire Bulky at $4.99 for a 100 gram skein fit the bill nicely. The color selection is extensive too. We finally settled on eggplant for K and olive for G.

Now, I've knit many hats already so each time I knit one, I like to challenge myself in some way by learning a new technique. This time, bobbles caught my eye. I was intrigued as to how to make them. They turned out to be pretty easy. I did a bobble rim around the hat. My only concern is that I hope they look cute and not dorky. I'm beyond caring at this point though.

So far I am very happy with the yarn. It is knitting up nice and fast on size 10.5 needles. It will be a very warm and cozy hat.

3 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, they want to be there for the birth of the baby! That's so sweet!

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great color choice for the hats. I wonder if you'll be knitting those in the delivery room ;)

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Good luck finishing on time. But if they aren't done, just gift the balls of yarn and some needles. Tell them it is a learn-to-knit kit, and that knitting is the "in" thing for people their age.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home