17 November 2005

Deja vous?


Okay, this sock picture may look very similar to the one in the previous post, but there are some important differences. In the meantime there was some serious frogging. It was a bit traumatic, but both I and the sock have lived to blog about it.

First of all, the sock leg is shorter. Even though the pattern called for the leg to be 8 inches long, that is really long for a sock leg. I didn't realize how long until I compared it to other socks I own. It is now 6 inches. Much better and now I don't have to worry about running out of yarn.

Most importantly, the join to heel flap is not holey anymore!!!
A special thank you to Cheryl for reminding me that Grumperina had blogged about how to join the "pretty way" just last month. I had read the blog entry in question, but was not knitting socks at the time and forgot about it. Interestingly, I was never taught to pick up stitches and instinctively grabbed the front loop of the slipped stitch and knit with it rather than knitting under both loops of the slipped stitch. My one problem turned out to be that I didn't twist the loop before knitting it. I did and suddenly things weren't so holey anymore. Thanks, Grumperina! I can't say that my joins are as pretty as Grumperina's yet, but perhaps with some more practice they will be.

Now that I'm clear of the heel, the end is in sight. I'm starting to worry a bit about grafting the toe seam...

3 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The gusset stitches look great! In case you are ever picking up stitches and want them to be invisible (either at gussets or around a sweater's neckhole, for instance), make sure to draw the new loop through two strands of your knitting. At the gusset that would mean through both legs of the slipped stitch. Good luck!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Emily said...

The heel looks great. And don't worry too much about grafting. Here are a couple of tips:
1. Find a book that has a description of the process in pictures (The Purl Stitch, Nancy Wiseman's book of finishing techniques, etc.) and follow the pictures.
2. Do it loosely, then go back and tighten it up. It won't look like anything at first, but as you tighten the stitches, you will magically see knit stitches.
It's not as hard as it sounds.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a difference! I can't wait to see the finished sock, it's looking so good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home