06 November 2005

Baseball knitting


Check out this scarf that my husband knit all by himself!

The yarn is Debbie Bliss Merino Chunky (sadly no longer manufactured) and the pattern is seed stitch. The story of how this scarf came to be is kind of interesting. Last year I knit hats for my aunt, uncle, and cousins using the Debbie Bliss yarn.


I was left with lots of left over yarn and no real plan for what to do with it. It just so happened that it was World Series time and the Boston Red Sox were in the series for the first time in like a billion years. My husband, not exactly a rabid baseball fan, was, however, very excited since he had grown up in Massachusetts and the Red Sox were in his blood. Though not really a fan, I would keep him company by sitting on the couch next to him knitting. I noticed he had lots of nervous energy so I gave him some needles and my leftover DB yarn and got him started (he had learned to knit in elementary school so just needed a little refresher). Sadly, once the World Series was over, the scarf was forgotten. A year passes. Suddenly it is World Series time again. It wasn't as exciting this year as the wrong Sox were in it, but he still wanted to watch. Suddenly the scarf appears out of the stash and he begins to work on it again. This time, though the series ended after 4 games, he was close enough to finishing that he kept at it. I think it looks fantastic and I'm very proud of him.

On an unrelated note, I realized I never followed up on what I decided to do with the slightly too big hat from the accessory set I knit. I took June's advice and tried fulling. I found fulling instructions on the web. I did 2 cycles of hot/cold immersions with some agitating on a cooling rack. Happily, the hat did shrink a little, but not too much. It's still not snug, so I could add some lining should it feel too itchy as Emily suggested. Overall I am very pleased with the result.

4 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Handknit accessories for both of you! Dave's scarf looks great - tell him "good job!" Your hat looks very lovely, too.

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave's scarf looks great and I also really like your hat. Great addition to the set!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Dave's scarf looks great! I wish my first project looked that good.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave did a great job. Just be careful that he doesn't make the lover's tank next: http://www.menknit.net/mag.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home