27 October 2005

They match!


Hey, that wasn't so bad! The hat turned out not to be too difficult to finish. I really like the way the set turned out. I don't feel quite ready to tackle the mittens yet, but will definitely start wearing the hat and scarf now that it seems to be winter here (we supposedly got wet snow the other night, but I refused to look out of the window to check).

Pattern: Reynolds Accessory Set
Yarn: Plymouth Indiecita Alpaca

Before blocking I rinsed the hat and scarf with conditioner because I find alpaca extremely itchy. It seems to have helped a bit, though my neck was still getting scratched a bit. The yarn is so soft, but those itchy fibers just get at you.

The hat turned out to be a bit too big. Not a problem with my thick hair and big head, but it doesn't fit snuggly. Any suggestions on a way I could safely shrink it a tiny bit?

4 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That set looks great! Enjoy wearing it! (no tips about your questions, sorry)

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure are looking pregnant! :D I'm going to guess it's a girl, though it's hard to see how you are carrying the baby. (Hey, I have a 50/50 chance, right?)

I remember when you were working on the scarf. It's a nifty stitch pattern. As for hat shrinkage, you could try some fulling - shampoo or laundry detergent, alternating hot and cold water. (Google "knit" and "felting" or "fulling" for more details if you need them. Or email me.) It looks like it doesn't need much shrinkage, so I would recommend doing it by hand to better control the process.

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen, the set looks gorgeous! As a non-wool knitter, my onky advice is: knit with plant fibers ;)

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Especially since you said that you find alpaca to be itchy, I would suggest lining the hat with polar fleece instead of trying to shrink it. It will take up a little space, and be nice and soft on your head.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home