12 November 2005

Sock update

Work on the celtic socks is progressing. I made it down to the heel on sock #1.

Everything went smoothly with the heel flap and the turning of the heel. It was when I got to the heel gusset small problems began to arise. When I had to pick up and knit 12 stitches along the side of heel flap on both sides, I found that the stitches I needed to pick up were very loose, thus creating a very loose, holey join. I'm not happy with this. What do you sock experts out there think? Did I do something wrong? Those stitches I had to pick up were slipped stitches, which is probably why they were looser. It's like that on both sides. I found that I can pull on the yarn and tighten it up some, which would be the less drastic solution.
Or I could frog back a bit and try again, but I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make unless I understand what went wrong. Also, I'm reluctant to frog back just yet, because there is a possibility I may have to frog a whole lot of it soon if I run out of yarn. The pattern calls for three 50 gram skeins. When I was buying the yarn, the woman selling the yarn generously told me that she found that only 2 skeins were necessary. She had smaller feet than I have, but I figured I could just make the sock leg a bit shorter. But when it came to it, I decided not to make it shorter because 50 grams should be plenty for 1 sock, right? I've knit socks for myself before that used less than 50 grams per sock. But now I'm starting to worry just a tiny bit....

3 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger the lorider said...

I don't have a clue what might be wrong - I am just impressed you made it this far!!!! GL

:)

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Instead of picking up stitches through your slipped stitches, try picking up on leg of the slipped stitch and making it your stitch. Take a look at Grumperina's fantastic tutorial:

http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/archives/2005/10/theres_the_easy.htm

That helped me with the gap problem immensely!

 
At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, for some reason Blogger isn't letting me make an active link in my comment. Grrr. Maybe try cutting and pasting these bits into the address bar. It'll be worth it, I promise.

http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/
archives/2005/10/theres_the_easy.
htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home