10 March 2007

Gift ideas

My friend A and I ditched our kids and were sitting in a coffee shop knitting today after a trip to Webs in which we bravely did not purchase anything (though there was some serious yarn fondling). A was telling me about an afghan she and a bunch of others are knitting for a friend who is getting married this summer. Suddenly I remembered that a good friend of mine is also getting married in July. Sadly I can't go to the wedding (it's a destination wedding in Turkey). However, I'd love to knit the happy couple a gift. An afghan or throw appeals to me, except that 1) they are large and I grow bored easily and 2) while I like the idea of an afghan made of squares, the thought of all that seaming and end weaving in makes me ill.

I found this Square Up the Circle throw pattern on KnitPicks.

First of all, I like the pattern. It is knit in the round so no seaming. Also, it is made using a "Mix and Mingle" kit, which is 7 different yarns in coordinating colors. I'm thinking I won't be as bored if I get to change the color AND yarn every few rows. Has anyone knit using this kit? If so, would you recommend it? Or are there any other afghan or throw patterns you'd recommend?

5 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You might want to look at the Lizard Ridge throw in the Fall '06 Knitty. Lots of flexibility there. Good luck.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I really like the way knitted throws look, but I've only knit one. And after that, I swore I would never make another. Whatever you end up choosing, make sure that you use big needles.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger NH Knitting Mama said...

I think that if you use interesting yarn it would make the project more enjoyable. It could be the project you work on when you need a break from something more challenging. Let us know what you decide!

 
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, nice throw. Our conversation the other day made me start thinking about knitting another.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Dearest Cupcake said...

After just completing a knitted blanket/throw I have to ask, how good is this friend? That's a lot of knitting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home