02 September 2005

Very calculating

In case you've been worried, I haven't forgotten about that baby blanket I started with the yarn my mom got for me in Italy. Here's the progress so far:


It's currently about 24 inches wide and 4 inches long. While I still have a sizable bit of the skein left, I'm beginning to worry about whether it will reach adequate blanket proportions. My mother said the woman at the yarn store she went to in Florence assured her one skein was big enough for a carseat blanket. Hmph. What exactly are the proportions of a carseat blanket? I'm imagining something not quite big enough to wrap your baby in, but big enough to tuck around the baby while it is in the carseat. 24 inches seems an appropriate width for that.

Now for some calculations. The skein is 100 grams. It appears I have 70 grams left. Just to be sure, I weighed what I've knitted so far as well: 29 grams -- close enough!


Well, if 29 grams has yielded 4 inches (generous measurement -- I'm envisioning post blocking here) then with 70 grams I have 9 inches to go. A 13 inch long blanket doesn't seem quite long enough. However, 26 inches would be just about right so all I would need is another skein. Meanwhile I'm a bit confused by this Italian yarn. The label just says "Baby Irrestringibile". June had suggested that irrestringibile means superwash. Who then is the manufacturer of this Baby yarn? No clues on the label (at least none that I can find). Ha! But I won't let that stop me! The simplest solution (aside from a quick jaunt to Florence) would be to find a merino yarn of similar weight and do stripes of a different color. Dale of Norway's Baby Ull perhaps? Any comments or suggestions on this idea?

5 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, and feather-and-fan looks great striped, in my opinion. I can't tell what gauge the yarn is, but if it's the same as Baby Ull, yes, that would be a great choice :). If it's a bit thicker, you may want to try Jaeger 4-ply, or Filatura di Crosa Baby Zarina.

 
At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Gems Merino (Louet) - soft, superwash, holds its shape well.

 
At 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not much help about the wool, but what a cute blanket :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home