29 September 2008

Stegosaurus on the loose!

I was browsing through projects on Ravelry a few months ago when I came upon this dinosaur hat. Owen, like any good toddler, loves dinosaurs so I knew I had to make him a dinosaur costume for Halloween.


Pattern: Toddler Dinosaur hat by Julia Farwell-Clay
Yarn: Valley Yarn Superwash (green) and Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride worsted (orange)
Needles: US 8
Mods: I thought it was odd in the pattern where it says to bind off the sides and continue on the middle 12 for the top of the head and then sew up the sides. I've knit enough socks to recognize when I'm knitting what is essentially a giant heel flap so I just did short rows instead. Quicker and neater.
Thoughts: I'm so pleased with how it came out! Now to make the body (which I won't be knitting)!




Oh, and remember this baby with his wonderful sweater knit by Bestitched?


Check him out now. It fits!

5 Comments:

At 7:38 PM, Blogger Annie in the Round said...

The hat is awesome. I can't believe how big Nathaniel got!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger June said...

Cute hat! Boy, that baby has fleshed out. :)

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Sue said...

I love the dinosaur hat. Love the baby jacket too, they always grow up so quickly.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Diana said...

What a great hat!! And I'm so glad the hat fits now!

 
At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

im trying this now but the pattern wording is confusing. im a new knitter. id appreciate it if you could tell me how you did the 'short rows' as i dont know about heel flaps! this is my first real project.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home