10 September 2005

The blanket saga continues...


I went to the LYS the other day to find a yarn whose gauge would match the yarn my mom got for me in Italy so the baby blanket would get to actual blanket proportions. Of the yarns suggested to me, the LYS only had Dale of Norway's Baby Ull and Filatura di Crosa's Zarina in stock. Baby Ull turned out to be too thick, but Zarina's gauge was spot on! The only problem was the colors. Unlike Baby Ull, which had all sorts of pretty colors to choose from, Zarina had white, yellow (not the same as my yellow though), blue, pink, variegated blue and pink, and light green. The blue or pink would have made a nice contrast, but as I wish to remain gender neutral my only choice seemed to be the green. I wish the green were a little darker as it looks somewhat washed out against the yellow, but I think it will be okay.
But now comes the question of how to incorporate the stripes? The feather and fan pattern I am doing has a border around the edge.

As I see it I have 2 options:
1) Just start striping and make the border striped as well
2) Continue the yellow border and just make the stripes of green for the feather and fan interior

Aesthetically speaking, I'm inclined to think choice 2 is better, but it would be a pain in the ass to switch colors 3 times each row. What do you all think?

3 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that the Baby Zarian worked out for you! I'm with June about the border - I think you'll find it a big pain to do intarsia, but I don't know if you'll like the border striped. Alternatively, knit the border after the blanket is done. But now we're talking frogging.... sigh.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Emily said...

I would definitely try to keep the border in the original color. I don't think you'll be happy with the final product if the border is striped. And there's no point in knitting it if you aren't going to like it.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine a striped border. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your mom can get you more yarn :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home