08 November 2006

Four years!

It was four years ago this month that I picked up needles for the first time and, under the watchful eye of my friend Bia, learned to knit. This hat was my very first project.

Not too bad, eh? It was a good learning project. It really is amazing though, what I have learned in the intervening years. I even look at projects I did last year and surprise myself by thinking, "if I had only known what I know now I would have done this or that differently" or, more often, "what was I thinking???"
I think the real turning point in my knitting came when the Tuesday knitting group formed at my former workplace. Being in regular contact with many knitters was both inspirational and very helpful. Then Ms. Bestitched introduced me to blogging and the rest is history!

As for what I am knitting now, I will share it with you only if you are NOT my sister-in-law. (I don't think you read my blog, but if you do, please avert your eyes).



Surely you must have seen the falling leaves shawl and scarf pattern on the back page of the last Webs catalog? Loved it! I zipped over to Webs (so convenient that it is my LYS) and bought some Valley Yarn Stockbridge so I could get the pattern. I decided to do a scarf in "boy blue" for my SIL for Christmas (or possibly her birthday in January depending on when I finish). I do plan to make the shawl for myself someday in red or orange. I really really like this pattern and it should look awesome when blocked. I'm about a third of the way finished.
I have also been making progress on the hoodie pullover from the Yarn Girls' Guide to Simple Knits. I chose to do it in the round and so far, so good.
I am approaching the point when I must start making the armholes and decisions must be made. Obviously I can switch to back and forth knitting for the upper portion of the front and back, but that defeats the purpose of doing it in the round as I would still have some major seaming to do. I shall probably end up turning to Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop.

I just need to get the book and figure it all out.

4 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Blogger Nicole Sharkey said...

Nice progress, Jennifer. I've been knitting a bit and actually bought some yarn today to make James a simple winter hat. Maybe I will post after Dec. 21st when I have more time in my life. I hope to be done with the hat by then though.

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Dearest Cupcake said...

Happy knitter-versary! Nice shawl - can't wait to see it in orange.

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Knittaversary! Lovely shawl and a lucky SIL.

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, happy 4 year knitversary! Love the new shawl for your SIL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home