12 July 2005

Multi-tasking


Wow! I made a lot of progress on the cardigan today. I started with only about 6 inches done on the left side panel and now it is finished! It's all about multi-tasking. Yes, I knit all day today while I was at work. You are probably wondering how I managed to get away with this without being fired. Well, I currently work in a museum. Through a series of events involving staffing changes and grants ending and new ones beginning I found myself working as the head digitizer for a scanning project of a collection of priceless negatives. The negative collection is fascinating, but scanning, sadly, is not. In fact, after doing it every day for 7 months, I have to conclude that it is horrendously boring. I have often thought as I set the scanner to do a batch scan and then waited 10+ minutes for it to finish, how much knitting I could accomplish in the down time. I have been hestitant to do this, however, because I was worried about what others might think. While I would know that I was still being productive, others might not. So what brought about this change of heart -- this cavalier attitude towards the opinions of my co-workers? Well, I am leaving the museum at the end of the month and I seriously doubt I can be fired at this point (not to mention that I am an excellent, if reluctant, scanner). Also, my boss is away on vacation. Anyway, out came my knitting needles and time just flew by for me today as I scanned. I would like to point out (in the unlikely event that my boss is reading this) that I still managed to scan 48 images today (my all time record is 50).

Since my cardigan is nearing completion, I have begun to consider buttons. Grumperina recommended that I go to Windsor Button in Boston, which I am planning to do in the near future. What color buttons would work with this cardigan though? My first thought was that wooden buttons would look nice. But I also could do a reddish color to match or complement the yarn color. Or maybe silver or gold colored buttons would be nice as well. Any comments or suggestions??


4 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Windsor Buttons is a cute shop - with an expanding yarn selection, iirc. Wood buttons would look great, but be sure you know the care requirements - some must be detached before laundering, others are finished/sealed.

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you got a lot done! Sometimes I wish I had a job that would allow me to knit while waiting for something. Wait, I do! Hehehe... That cardi will be done in no time, although there'll be some seaming and finishing, which can drag. Good luck!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's all about multi-tasking -- i think people are understanding better and better that it often helps work, rather than hinder it. like at school, i knit during lectures, which helps me to stay awake and even be able to follow the most convoluted discussions, it's great!

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it is looking great! Can't wait to see it in person!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home